Thursday, February 4

Unleashing Creativity

As a mother, I have found that I can be quite legalistic when it comes to certain things. In the past several days, the Lord has really begun to work on me about this. My test was the day after I began to realize this about myself. Lily and Easton had a brilliant idea! They wanted to paint Easton’s trucks all different colors, kind of like “Pimp My Ride”! I said no and stuck to my guns. I pulled out the old, “go ask your Daddy”, so they did. They did and his answer was the polar opposite of mine. They proceeded to get the Tempra paint cakes, water, paint brushes, and the trucks that needed a makeover!
I was dreading to look at the table and the floor after this activity had ceased. I told Kendall that I could not look, I was afraid of how bad it was. When I walked over, I found that the floor was clean and that the mess was pretty minor compared to my mental images of a paint shop exploding in my dining room. 
The trucks were pretty, Easton was too! I learned a lesson again as a mother, choose my battles wisely. I didn’t want them to have fun because I was afraid of the mess, I didn’t want them to paint because I didn’t want to have to say “no”, “don’t do that” and “stop” 500 times in 30 minutes. I didn’t say any of those things, I just let them be and they had a great time. I had a great time once I chilled out and realized the fun that they had and the joy that I had in seeing the creativity that Lily and Easton had.

2 comments:

  1. Great job! great reminder about life...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Joy! I could learn a lesson from your wisdom! I say "No" 90% of the time because I don't want the mess or don't want to deal with the accidents that might occur while they are doing the wished for activity.

    Thanks for sharing this. Next time, I might just say yes!! :0)

    ReplyDelete