Thursday, October 1

Rooster or a Chicken?

Our guard, Rabson (his friends call him Rabby), gave us a gift one night. The gift was a chicken! The kids were so happy and so were we! What a great surprise this chicken was! Then the discussion began.

Joy: Well, do you want to eat the chicken or keep it?
Kendall: I don't know, I would like to have some chickens.
Joy: What do you think about the dogs?
Kendall: My dogs got used to our chickens. We can keep it, what do you want to do?

After one night to sleep on it, we decided to keep the chicken. It was fun watching our dogs get used to it running around the yard. Then Lily wanted to give the chicken a name, I thought, "welp, we will never be able to eat this chicken, it is about to have a name." Lily said, "LUCY!!" We thought Lucy was a perfect name since Kendall said that it was a female. I am lacking in the farm animal department and dont know the difference really, I mean if it is big and crows in the morning, then I know but other than that...I don't! So a week went by and I asked Paul if he knew anyone that had a rooster for sale because we would like to have some eggs (because they are expensive here). Paul replied, "mama, that one is a rooster!" I told Kendall that we had a rooster and he couldnt believe it, he ran outside to further inspect the biology of the chicken. When all was said and done we realized that the chicken had to have a name change because it was a boy...so we proudly introduce our newest family member, Jeremy! He roosts in the orange tree to sleep, he likes to eat the dog food, drinks the dog's water, he is not afraid of the dogs, and everytime he is near Lauren says "doot doot!" Can't wait to get a chicken so we can have some eggs! We are slowly turning into the Walton's...or I guess you could say that we are "Little House in the Nyimba Valley"! I am slowly learning about agriculture it is a world I am not too familiar with but like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment