Saturday, September 25

Almost Heading "Home"

We are getting so excited about our upcoming Stateside assignment! But we are nervous and excited at the same time. Some of my good friends have shared these two poems on their blogs and I wanted to share them too! They perfectly describe the emotions and feelings that not only our children have, but us as well! This will also help you to know how to pray for us!


I Am Green

I grew up in Blue Country
My parents grew up in Yellow Country
They tell me I am Yellow
And sometimes we go and visit Yellow Country
When I am in Yellow Country
I go to school with the Yellow kids.
I dress like the Yellow kids
And I talk like the Yellow kids.
but when I am in Blue Country
I go to school with the Blue kids.
I dress like the Blue kids
And I talk like the Blue kids.
Sometimes when I am in Yellow Country
I really miss the Blue ways.
I guess that the things I do and say,
Are really rather Bluish in color
In the same way, when I am in blue Country
There are things I miss about Yellow Country.
And I am sure the things I do and say
Appear rather Yellowish in color.
All this changing around is so confusing
Blue or Yellow? Who am I really?
I wonder if there is a place where I could just be me,
Where the Blue and the Yellow could both run free.
Sometimes when I am flying between the two places
I want to stay up there in the middle of all the races.
If only I could stop some place in between
If only I could just be GREEN!



Timbuktu Will Have to Do

"Where are you from?" you glibly ask
Where am I from? I slightly frown....
that depends....
on how much you want to know
how long your attention span
on whether you care
or just need something to say...
It depends
also
on how I feel today
-sure of myself or hesitant
-competent or lonely
-cynical or wanting to belong
Should I say-
your eyes give me no clue-
the last place I lived?
or where I lived the longest?
or where my parents live now?
or where I was born?
Should I tell you all the places I've lived?
in order? and how long? and why?
Or shall I pick a name out of the blue
Timbuktu
and see how you respond?
I am from God's earth-just now
a sojourner and wanderer
and you cannot put what I know
or who I am
into a box
by thinking you know "where I am from."
The question poses an enormous problem for me
Yet it is understandable that you ask
It is not wrong of you to ask....
People ask it every day....
But you stand there awaiting my answer
Hesitancy forming in your eyes
And I should not be uncivil
After all, you asked...
I think, today, I will say
"Timbuktu"
and see what you do.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this!!! That is exactly how I feel when people ask me that question. I am on move #21 of my 33 years on this earth. I can only imagine how you must feel with this upcoming move. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did one of your friends write the Timbuktu poem? I would love to put it on my blog, but would like to give credit where credit is due. I grew up everywhere, and LOVE how it sums up how hard it is to answer that question!

    ReplyDelete